first_img The criteria for Queen’s counsel appointments include: Twelve Nova Scotia lawyers were appointed today, Dec. 19, asQueen’s counsel. Justice Minister Michael Baker made personalphone calls to each lawyer to congratulate them for beingrecognized for their contributions to the practice of law. “These individuals have earned the respect of their colleaguesand clients, and have demonstrated leadership in theirprofession,” said Mr. Baker. “They have also been keen supportersof legal scholarship, teaching and continuing legal education. Weappreciate their efforts.” The appointees, their firms and the year they were called to thebar, include: Gerald MacDonald, LeBlanc MacDonald, Port Hawkesbury, 1973; Michael King, Cooper and MacDonald, Halifax, 1973; Ross Haynes, The Haynes Group of Lawyers, Halifax, 1975; Louise Poirier, Nova Scotia Department of Justice, Halifax, 1975; Patrick Burke, Burke and MacDonald, Lunenburg, 1978; Michael Donovan, Department of Justice (Canada), Halifax, 1978; Harvey Morrison, McInnes Cooper, Halifax, 1979; Peter Lederman, Archibald and Lederman, Truro, 1980; Mark David, Baxter Harris Heonakis, Halifax, 1982; Jan McKenzie, Cox Hanson O’Reilly Matheson, Halifax, 1984; Geoffrey Machum, Stewart McKelvey Stirling Scales, Halifax, 1985; Robert Fetterly, Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service, Halifax, 1984. a minimum of 15 years as a member of the bar of Nova Scotia; demonstrated professional integrity, good character and outstanding contributions to the practice of law; consideration of regional, gender and minority representation. Recommendations were made to cabinet by a nine-member advisorycommittee chaired by Justice Walter Goodfellow of the SupremeCourt of Nova Scotia. Members of the committee are RobertBelliveau, Q.C., Jamie Campbell, Q.C., D.A. (Sandy) Fairbanks,Q.C., Craig Garson, Q.C., Guy LaFosse, Q.C., Carman McCormick,Q.C., Valerie Miller, Q.C., Karen Ralph and David Wallace, Q.C.last_img read more

Rebel attacks in recent weeks have forced more than 100,000 people from their homes in the volatile eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).This brings the total number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) in eastern DRC to over 1.4 million, mostly in North Kivu province, UNHCR spokesperson Ron Redmond said.The raids by the so-called Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) in east of Goma, North Kivu’s capital, have “left a trail of death and destruction and caused recurrent displacement,” he noted.The group is stepped up its attacks against civilians in North Kivu after the DRC and Rwanda ended their joint military offensive against it in January.Late last week, the FDLR raided the village of Luofu, killing seven people, five of whom were children, and burning some 250 homes, according to authorities. This caused panic among the area’s residents, who fled to the bush or the nearby town of Kirumba, which has reportedly been surrounded by the rebels who are threatening to overrun it.The crumbling security situation, exacerbated by the FDLR tactic of attacking commercial vehicles on main roads, is preventing humanitarian agencies from distributing vital aid, Mr. Redmond told reporters in Geneva yesterday.IDPs in North Kivu have typically been uprooted more than once, with families often being separated, UNHCR said.Currently, the agency runs 11 camps and monitors the human right situation of the uprooted in eastern DRC. 22 April 2009Rebel attacks in recent weeks have forced more than 100,000 people from their homes in the volatile eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). read more