first_imgTheaDesign/iStock(CRAVEN COUNTY, N.C.) — Searchers are pushing through heavy rain and whipping winds Thursday in the hunt for a missing 3-year-old boy in coastal North Carolina.Casey Hathaway was reported missing in Craven County on Tuesday by a relative, the FBI said. He had been playing outside when he disappeared.Hundreds of professional searchers and volunteers spent Wednesday pushing through the cold and the rugged terrain as they looked for the little boy on Wednesday.But Thursday morning, “only professional searchers are being used because of serious safety concerns with the weather,” the FBI in Charlotte said. “Volunteer searchers who arrive on scene will be allowed to sign up, but may not be used because of the dangerous weather conditions.”“Our number one priority is to find Casey,” Craven County Sheriff Chip Hughes said Wednesday. “No tip is insignificant.”The sheriff’s office has also asked people to check their property, cars and storage sheds for Casey.“We’re not giving up,” added the county’s emergency management coordinator, Stanley Kite.Casey has blonde hair and brown eyes. He stands at 28 inches tall and weighs 25 pounds, the sheriff’s office said.Anyone with information is urged to call the Craven County Sheriff’s Office at 252-633-0498 or the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation at 919-662-4500.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter November 12, 2019 PAsmart,  Press Release,  Schools That Teach,  Workforce Development Harrisburg, PA – Celebrating the success of the PAsmart workforce development program to create educational opportunities at schools across the commonwealth, Governor Tom Wolf welcomed more than 50 students from the Pennsylvania Rural Robotics Initiative to the Capitol today. The students from nine western Pennsylvania school districts showcased their skills in coding, robotics and drone technology. The Wolf administration awarded the initiative a $299,000 PAsmart Advancing Grant earlier this year.“I launched PAsmart as a new way to invest in science and technology education, so students have the knowledge and skills to compete for in-demand, good-paying jobs,” said Governor Wolf. “The Pennsylvania Rural Robotics Initiative shows that whether a student lives in a tech hub like Pittsburgh or a rural town, they can learn about coding and robotics. Programs like this are investing in their future and signaling to businesses that Pennsylvania is ready with the talented workers they need.”Joining the governor at the Capitol from the Pennsylvania Rural Robotics Initiative were students from Cranberry Area School District, Clarion Area School District, Brookville Area School District, Valley Grove Area School District, Forest Area School District, Redbank Valley School District, DuBois Area School District, Franklin Area School District, Riverview Intermediate Unit 6 and the Venango Technology Center.“The opportunities presented through our PAsmart award have allowed our member schools to obtain resources that otherwise would not be possible,” said Tim Heffernan, a science teacher from Franklin Area School District in Venango County and leader of the initiative. “As we’ve leveraged those resources and worked with our amazing partners in K12 and higher education, government, industry, workforce and economic development, and the non-profit community, we’ve created opportunities for our students that truly are world-class.”At the invitation of the governor, student members of the VEX Robotics team showcased their robots and the coding used for autonomous movement. Three student groups also demonstrated the use of coding and drones in career-oriented projects, including agriculture.The Pennsylvania Rural Robotics Initiative was created in 2018 to develop sustainable world-class educational robotics programming for the children in Clarion, Clearfield, Forest, Jefferson and Venango counties. Last year, more than 1,000 students created 180 robots with industry leaders and professionals from regional academic institutions serving as mentors. The initiative culminates with a final tournament at Clarion University of Pennsylvania.The Pennsylvania Rural Robotics Initiative shared the $299,000 PAsmart grant directly with member schools to support advanced teacher trainings, summer STEM camps for students, and to triple the number of regional high schools in the initiative.In the inaugural year of PAsmart, the Wolf administration awarded nearly $10 million in advancing grants, up to $500,000 each, to 24 schools and community partnerships, including the Pennsylvania Rural Robotics Initiative. An additional $10 million in PAsmart grants, of up to $35,000 each, was awarded to 765 schools to expand computer science classes and teacher training. The remaining $10 million supported apprenticeships and job training. The governor secured $40 million for PAsmart in the current year budget.With PAsmart, Pennsylvania is a national leader in STEM and computer science education and accomplishments under Governor Wolf include:Ranking second in the nation for investments in computer science education;Advancing Pennsylvania to third in the nation in the number of nationally-recognized STEM ecosystems and made the commonwealth the fifth largest producer of STEM graduates;Establishing standards for computer science education in all Pennsylvania schools;Joining the Governors’ Partnership for K-12 Computer Science, a bipartisan initiative organized by Code.org, to advance policy, funding, and professional learning for computer science education.For more information about pursuing an education and career in Pennsylvania at any stage of life, visit PAsmart.gov.center_img Governor Wolf and Rural Students Celebrate PAsmart Success for Science and Technology Educationlast_img read more

first_imgShare Andrea Vota – Jdigital’s challenge of Spanish restrictions is led by logic and rationale August 13, 2020 Related Articles GVC absorbs retail shocks as business recalibrates for critical H2 trading August 13, 2020 Grupo Cirsa and Ladbrokes Spanish market joint-venture Sportium has announced that it has reached a milestone 3,000 active betting points within Spain.The bookmaker details that it has managed to significantly expand its betting-point inventory, partnering up with Spanish arcade and leisure firm Grupo El Dorado, boosting its retail network.The El Dorado partnership has seen Sportium expand its in-store network across the provinces of Aragon and Valencia by approximately 500 more betting-points.Furthermore, in 2018 Sportium has been able to enter the autonomous provinces of Andalucia with circa 250 new betting-points, alongside the Belleric Islands – 40 new betting-points.Updating the market, Alberto Eljarrat CEO of Sportium stated that the firm’s significant network expansion could be attributed to Sportium’s improvements in technology and the firm’s distinct brand operating within Spain.Sportium and El Dorado will continue to seek active opportunities in which to grow their sports betting partnership.Launched in 2007 as a 50-50 joint venture between Ladbrokes UK and Grupo Cirsa Espana, Sportium has become one of Spain’s leading sports betting destinations for retail and online consumers. Submit StumbleUpon Share Winamax maintains Granada CF sponsorship despite bleak Spanish outlook August 19, 2020last_img read more

first_imgOMAR TYREE I was prepared this week to write an article on sports and fatherhood.Instead, I was struck by the Cleveland Cavaliers’ opening game featuring the return of Akron, Ohio’s native son, LeBron James. With hours of national sports coverage and thousands of fans who traveled downtown to enjoy a free concert from Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons – including live commentary from Charles Barkley and jokes from comedian/actor Kevin Hart – the event was overwhelming.The city unveiled a new 10-story LeBron James banner, featured six hours of fan experience from Nike, invited fans to game watching parties at more than 40 bars and restaurants, and unveiled a humungous, state-of-the-art scoreboard inside Quickens Loan Arena, where those with tickets to the game received free LeBron James T-shirts, a season schedule magnet for their refrigerators and 20,000 glow-in-the-dark wands to wave during the game announcements.Of course, the game was sold out, with superstar musician and part-owner, Usher Raymond and his protégé, Justin Bieber, sitting courtside, along with filmmaker, Spike Lee, football Hall of Famer turned TV star Michael Strahan, and dozens of other national and local celebrities, all to see the homecoming of LeBron. Nike even unveiled a new commercial, where “King James” invites the entire city of Cleveland into a team huddle and prep-talk to win a championship in classic black and white film.It felt like I was watching the NFL Super Bowl, but it was only Cleveland’s first game of the season with LeBron back, featuring his new teammates: Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, Deon Waiters, Tristan Thomas and more. It was also the season premiere of new Cleveland head coach, David Blatt.By the way, the game included NBA All-Star and Olympian Carmelo Anthony and his New York Knicks, with the second game of their new head coach Derek Fisher. And after all of the crazy build-up, LeBron James went on to have a horrible outing in a 95-90 loss. At one point in the first half, he was 1-9 shooting with four turnovers, on his way to 17 points and eight turnovers.I felt sorry for the dude. I could only imagine how eager HE was to get it all over. At the end of the day, he still needed two and half hours worth of energy to play a basketball game before granting a hundred post-game interviews about the loss. Not only that, I read his wife, Savannah, finally gave birth their first baby girl to add to his excitement and exhaustion on Monday night, October 27.But with all of the sports commentators recapping how amazing the opening night was, I couldn’t help thinking about the American hypocrisy of sports and race. I’ve been to Cleveland on several occasions and know people from the area, as well as from other cities of Ohio. And it’s the same old American story; Blacks live on one part of town in poverty, while Whites live on the other in wealth. And race relations still don’t mix like you would think they would in  2014.So I watched the rehashed stories of White Cleveland Cavaliers fans who angrily burned LeBron James jerseys just four years ago when he left the city to take his talents to South Beach, and I chuckled at their audacity. Thousands of these same angry White fans now profess to love him again, including Cavaliers owner, Dan Gilbert, who was forced to apologize for his tantrum and public letter, which lambasted LeBron and attacked his character.I’m sorry, folks, I know we all look at sports as the perfect meeting ground between race, gender, class, creed and culture, but it continues to astonish me how the White American populace could care less about Lebron James’ twin brother, if he wasn’t blessed with the same freakish athletic skills to play basketball. And if James had such a twin brother, would these fans bother to even buy him a drink? Not unless he brought LeBron with him.As we inch closer to 2015, we still have millions of white Americans who would never read this sports column just because it has the word “Black” in it, identifying a people and culture that they refuse to learn anything about. And if Black athletes couldn’t dunk, shoot, rebound, or pass a basketball; run, pass, catch, intercept, kick or punt a football; or throw, catch, hit or pitch a baseball, White Americans wouldn’t care to know them either.(Omar Tyree is a New York Times bestselling author, an NAACP Image Award winner for Outstanding Fiction and a professional journalist @ www.OmarTyree.com.)last_img read more

first_imgBy Jay Cook |HAZLET – A nationally recognized hotel chain is looking to expand its brand behind an existing hotel on Route 35, effectively creating a hub of lodging on a roadway with a dearth of available options.At the Aug. 17 Hazlet Township Land Use Board meeting, Holiday Inn unveiled a proposal to build a four-story Holiday Inn Express hotel. It would sit behind the two-story Holiday Inn already established along the highway, across from the Cinemark and Costco shopping center.“This is a rather innocuous use,” said Calisto Bertin, project engineer for the hotel’s application. “It’s just a hotel – not a trucking terminal, not a factory.”But for some residents living on the adjacent Miller Avenue, which is actually within Holmdel Township’s borders, plans for a new hotel are unwelcome.“I think the value of our homes are going to go down,” said Holmdel resident Dean Labarca, a 13-year homeowner on Miller Avenue, after the meeting ended. “The quality of our lives are going to go down.”He was one of about 25 residents from Miller and Orchard avenues in attendance that expressed concern about this development. Earlier in the month, Labarca petitioned the Holmdel Township Committee for help to stop this project. Committee members Deputy Mayor Pat Impreveduto and Committeeman Eric Hinds said they do not like the project.According to the project application, the hotel expansion would be on a 3-acre swath of undeveloped, wooded land behind the existing Holiday Inn hotel and the Hazlet Pharmacy/Casual Male XL next door.An engineering plan for the proposed hotel expansion.The plans call for a four-story, 93-room hotel, covering 13,663 square feet. On the ground level, site plans outline a swimming pool, market, lifestyle lounge and a fitness room.Yomesh Patel, a planner hired on behalf of Holiday Inn applications, said the new hotel would “attract the right type of clients” into Hazlet, considering the Holiday Inn Express would be an “upper-scale hotel.”For Holiday Inn to even consider the new hotel for franchising, Patel said the structure would have to be four stories tall. He cited country-wide consistency and brand recognition as the main reasons why.Pending approval from the Land Use Board, attorney Jeffery Gale said the property owner would split the lots into two – the new space at 3 acres and the existing space at 3.9 acres – and the existing Holiday Inn would be sold and rebranded as a Quality Inn or similar style hotel.Holiday Inn would also be seeking a use variance on the property, oddly enough, as hotel uses are not permitted in that zone on the Route 35 highway in Hazlet. According to public Monmouth County tax records, the standing hotel was built in 1967. Gale said over the years it had been branded as a Ramada Inn and a Sheraton. He said it also is the popular overnight destination for acts performing at the PNC Bank Arts Center.Surrounding the rear of the property and abutting houses on Miller Avenue is a 6-foot-high fence, that at some points provides only a 20-foot buffer for residents from the hotel’s parking lot.And according to Gale, the 20 feet that residents have come to enjoy over the years is actually owned by the hotel. The fence line does not correctly correspond with the actual property line.But regarding where properties begin and end, Gale said, “I’d like to make it clear, because I don’t want to stir up controversy. It is not the applicant’s desire that we make this controversy or to bring it to an issue.”The Holiday Inn on Route 35 South, Hazlet.If the new Holiday Inn Express is ultimately approved, distances from fence lines to the curb inside the development would range from 7 feet to 22 feet.That lack of privacy was brought to issue by board member Vincent Solomeno, who said, “the actual situation we’re facing right now is you’re awfully close to the backs of these homes.”“I’m concerned about that, specifically, and the noise and the light,” he added.Many of Labarca’s neighbors drew on those concerns after the meeting, saying the hotel expansion would have a negative impact on the surrounding neighborhoods.“I got three kids that play in the street there every day,” said Brian Hayes, who has lived on Miller Avenue for 14 years. “This is going to increase the traffic and the cars that come down the road and turn around in my driveway.”Concerning the traffic, Hayes said cars leaving the hotel property already turn right onto Miller Avenue, where there is no way to leave the development. “No Outlet,” “Watch Children,” and 25 miles per hour signs pepper the entrance to Miller Avenue.Joe Dimari has lived on Orchard Avenue, another neighborhood behind Miller Avenue, for 28 years. He said a new hotel twice as big as the one already there would make the site significantly louder than it already is.Dimari also brought up the Monmouth County Reliability Project, a pending 230-kV transmission line proposed along NJ Transit the North Jersey Coast Line. Orchard Avenue backs up to the train tracks.“We have the JCP&L project behind us and the Holiday Inn in front,” he said. “This is our quality of life that we’re trying to protect.”Only half of the expert witnesses testified on Aug. 17, so the project was carried to the next meeting, tentatively scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Sept. 7. Residents are urged to check HazletTwp.org for more information.This article was first published in the Aug. 24-31, 2017 print edition of The Two River Times.last_img read more