President François Hollande CubaAmericas to go further Organisation News On 11 May, François Hollande will become the first French president to visit Cuba since 1959 and the first western leader to do so since the United States and Cuba announced on 17 December that they planned to restore diplomatic relations. An historic visit requires historic responsibility, that of “telling the truth,” as Hollande rightly said in the headline of an op-ed in Le Nouvel Observateur in 2003. Reporters Without Borders has written an open letter to Hollande asking him to press Cuban leader Raúl Castro to dramatically improve freedom of information on the island. News Palais de l’Elysée55 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré75008 Paris RSF_en Related documents lettre_ouverte_hollande-3.pdfPDF – 96.39 KB New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council News May 7, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Cuba: “Silence by Cuba’s friends would be a form of complicity” – François Hollande, 2003 Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Cuba News CubaAmericas October 12, 2018 Find out more Christophe Deloire Secretary-General (Logo: AFP) Paris, 7 May 2015Dear President Hollande,Before your trip to Cuba, Reporters Without Borders, an organization that defends freedom of information, would like to draw your attention to the still very critical situation of journalists, both professional and non-professional, in that country.Year after year, Cuba has had the western hemisphere’s lowest position in the Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. It is ranked 169th out of 180 countries in the 2015 index. This position reflects the glaring lack of pluralism and the difficulties and dangers that independent journalists and bloggers encounter when trying to circumvent censorship and publish freely-reported information.An historic visit requires historic responsibility. In a 27 February 2003 op-ed in Le Nouvel Observateur, headlined “Telling the truth,” you got straight to the point when you said: “Silence by Cuba’s friends would be a form of complicity with a system we would criticize anywhere else.” You said we should, “Give full support to the Cuban people and tell the truth about the inhumanity of the embargo and the Cuban regime – both are unjustifiable.” You were also clear about the role France should play: “We must demand the release of all political prisoners and the abolition of censorship.” So, for the sake of these principles, France cannot remain silent now.Despite demonstrating a desire for an opening at the diplomatic level, the Cuban government maintains an almost complete monopoly of news and information and tolerates no independent news media on the island. Both the traditional and online media continue to be censored and the Internet is subject to close surveillance.The one exception is the website of Hablemos Press, an independent news agency. Its website had been inaccessible in Cuba since 2001, but Reporters Without Borders unblocked it on 12 March as part of an anti-cyber-censorship operation. This exception, with which the Cuban government had nothing to do, should be the rule. You, as France’s president, must point out that no opening will be real and benefit the population unless Cuba also opens up to pluralist and independently-reported news and information.Independent journalists and bloggers continue to confront hardships and risks. Their equipment is confiscated. Their mobile phones are disconnected. They are summoned by the department for internal security and told to change their editorial policies. They continue to be exposed to death threats, intimidation, smear campaigns, arrest, arbitrary detention and physical violence.Even the most recent World Press Freedom Day, on 3 May, was used to crack down. Three independent journalists were arrested in Havana while covering a march by the Ladies in White at which copies of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights were distributed. You, as France’s president, cannot remain silent about the arbitrary imprisonment of journalists.The Cuban authorities seem increasingly inclined to use arrests of short duration to silence independent news providers and prevent them doing their work. But some are still serving long sentences. They include Yoeni de Jesús Guerra García (a Yayabo Press blogger sentenced to seven years in prison in 2014), José Antonio Torres (a journalist with the government daily Granma, who was given a 14-year sentence in July 2012) and Angel Santiesteban-Prats (who was given five years in 2013 for criticizing the government in a blog called Los hijos que nadie quiso).And what were their alleged crimes? Circulating information regarded as “counter-revolutionary” or “defamatory.” Santiesteban-Prats was convicted on a trumped-up charge of a non-political nature in a bid to limit the international impact of his imprisonment. He has been subjected to mistreatment and torture since his arrest and his current legal status is unclear.You, as France’s president, cannot fail to request the immediate and unconditional release of Yoeni de Jesús Guerra García, José Antonio Torres and Angel Santiesteban-Prats.France has no choice but to urge the Cuban authorities to end the harassment and censorship of independent news providers. France must also intercede with the Cuban authorities to request access to Cuba for international NGOs such as Reporters Without Borders that defend human rights, free speech and freedom of information – always keeping in mind the goal you hold dear: “telling the truth.”I thank you in advance for the attention you give to this request.Sincerely, Receive email alerts October 15, 2020 Find out more Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago May 6, 2020 Find out more
Previous articleHave been out to the woods today?Next articleTemplehouse Delivers admin Facebook Twitter WhatsApp A TWENTY year old mother of one, who was intoxicated and in a dispute with her parents outside their home on the Shanabooly Road, appeared in Limerick District Court after she threatened to “have this f—–g house burnt down”. Malita Galvin, 106 Shanabooly Road, was facing Public Order Charges brought by Garda Shane O’Shea, dating back to earlier this year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Linkedin The court heard that the accused was said to have been intoxicated on the night in question, and was in a dispute with her parents as they attempted to coax her off the street, to avoid the attention of gardai.The court was told that on arrival, gardai found Ms Galvin, with five previous convictions, highly intoxicated and abusive. Sarah Ryan, solicitor, said that her client was now “behaving herself,” and she did not wish to get into any more trouble.Judge O’Donnell said that he feared Ms Galvin was “beginning to clock up convictions”. She was sentenced to two months in prison, but Judge O’Donnell suspended it for a period of 12 months pending that she be on good behaviour and her own bond of €100. Email NewsLocal NewsThreat to burn house leads to suspended sentenceBy admin – September 28, 2010 557 Print Advertisement
This is placeholder text continue reading » This post is currently collecting data… ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr These days, consumers have more choices than ever before when it comes to financial service providers. That’s why a successful digital strategy is critical if you want to rise above the competition during this pandemic.By helping consumers recognize the benefits of choosing your organization, you can encourage them to register for your services. However, credit unions find themselves scrambling when setting up new systems to replace outdated forms of payment. Too many businesses have been operating in the past and are suffering because of it.While banks and large financial institutions already have many digital tools at their disposal, credit unions are lagging. As a result, they are losing out to larger financial organizations, even when offering better value for members. Many potential members are not even aware that credit unions provide many of the same services as banks. Providers of card services for credit unions now offer options, such as online and mobile payments. Upgrading your payment system during this critical time should be top-of-mind.
Florida wildlife officials report they have arrested two men for allegedly poaching thousands of turtles and selling them.A Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission news release states that 39-year-old Michael Boesenberg and 23-year-old Michael Clemons were arrested last week and are facing multiple poaching-related charges.According to investigators, Boesenberg led a ring of wildlife traffickers who operated mostly in Lee County. Poached turtles can sell wholesale for up to $300 each, or retailed for up to $10,000 each in Asia.Over 600 turtles were returned to the wild after a long-term undercover investigation: https://t.co/WVKNWiMziK #News #Crime #Florida pic.twitter.com/VwKPaPtrgJ— MyFWC (@MyFWC) October 18, 2019 The FWC documented more than 4,000 turtles that were illegally taken and sold over a six-month period. That includes Florida box turtles, Eastern box turtles, striped mud turtles, Florida mud turtles, chicken turtles, Florida softshell turtles, Gulf Coast spiny softshell turtles, spotted turtles, and diamondback terrapins.Officers executed a search warrant last August, at which time they returned over 600 turtles to their wild habitat.Boesenberg and Clemons are being held at the Lee County jail.
Manu Tuilagi scored a try in each half as England cut Wales’ lead to just a point with a 57-14 Six Nations thrashing of Italy on Saturday at Twickenham.England’s Grand Slam hopes were dashed by Wales in Cardiff a fortnight ago, and they took their frustration out on the Azzurri with a ruthless eight-try drubbing. KEY OPTA FACTS:England’s 43-point victory is the biggest in this year’s Six Nations, and England’s biggest winning margin in the tournament since a 59-13 win against Italy in 2011.Owen Farrell scored 11 points to take his total past 800 in his Test career (805). He is the 14th player in history to reach that tally and the second Englishman after Jonny Wilkinson (1,246).England scored 50-plus points in a Six Nations game for the 10th time (since 2000). No other side has managed that on more than six occasions (Ireland – 6, France – 3, Wales – 3).Jonny May has scored five tries in this year’s tournament, the most by an England player in a Six Nations campaign since Chris Ashton’s six in 2011.WHAT’S NEXT?Next Saturday, England will attempt to repeat their drubbing of Scotland two years ago and hope Ireland bursts Wales’ bubble, and Italy faces France in Rome. The outstanding Tuilagi grabbed a first Test try for five years and claimed another in the second half as England maintained its perfect record against Italy, beating the Azzurri for the 25th time.Tries by Jamie George and Jonny May preceded Tuilagi’s first score and Brad Shields’ maiden Test try to seal the bonus point in a first half that saw Tommaso Allan’s superb converted score bring Italy level, before England took charge.Luca Morisi touched down for a second Italy try as it was more competitive in the second half, but George Kruis, Dan Robson and Shields added further tries in a rout.Owen Farrell scored 11 points from the tee as Eddie Jones’ side set up an intriguing final weekend, when England entertains Scotland and hopes Ireland does them a favor in Cardiff.#ENGvITA | Manu Tuilagi goes over for his second[Credit: @SixNationsRugby] pic.twitter.com/ogRXMihWT0— England Rugby (@EnglandRugby) March 9, 2019England piled early pressure on Italy and was rewarded when hooker George barged his way over eight minutes in, but Italy hit back courtesy of individual brilliance from Allan.The fly-half burst through a gap after a clever show-and-go and a desperate last-ditch tackle from Ben Youngs was unable to deny him a superb try, which he converted expertly from wide on the left.That was as good as it got for Italy in the first half, Elliot Daly laying a simple score on a plate for May and Tuilagi showed great power and pace to race away for a long-awaited Test try.Joe Cokanasiga was proving to be a real handful and Tuilagi turned provider for the supporting Shields to claim the bonus point eight minutes before the break, with injuries sustained by Michele Campagnaro and Tommaso Castello compounding Italy’s misery.England continued to use the width of the pitch and the prowling Tuilagi had a second try when George picked him out with an inviting pass on right flank, but Italy showed great character in the second half and was rewarded with a try from Morisi.Normal service was resumed when Jayden Hayward took too long to clear and Kruis went under the posts after charging down his kick before the lively Cokanasiga set up Robson for a first Test try.Shields rubbed salt into the wounds with his second right at the end, Tito Tebaldi seeing his casual kick charged down to give the back-row a gift and George Ford adding the extras for the third time in a ruthless hammering that leaves Italy without a point from four matches and England still eyeing the title.TUILAGI ON THE RAMPAGETuilagi was outstanding in a dominant display by England. The barnstorming center plowed through midfield to score a superb try and laid on another for Shields as he wreaked havoc. The Leicester Tigers star was replaced just after the hour mark after making 10 carries for 77 meters.COKANASIGA NO AVERAGE JOECokanasiga grasped his opportunity with both hands after being given a first Six Nations start. The powerhouse wing showed why such big things are expected of him with a mix of finesse, great hands, sheer power and a rapid turn of foot. The Bath flyer even packed down in the back row and showed his class by setting up Robson, and it would be a surprise if he is not unleashed on Scotland.