The family of an Inishowen woman who took her own life after being allowed to leave the psychiatric unit at Letterkenny General Hospital is to sue the HSE for damages for wrongful death, her inquest has heard.Pauline Devlin, who was 54 and from Tooban, Burnfoot had her death recorded as a suicide by a jury at an inquest in Sligo today.The inquest heard evidence that Mrs Devlin, a mother of twins, had expressed suicidal thoughts. Mrs Devlin’s husband Patrick said that Pauline had discussed suicide with him and had talked about drowning herself.He said his wife had been depressed for a number of months prior to her death and had been a patient in Letterkenny General Hospital twice – first for two weeks and then for a longer period.She was still a patient there on December 13, 2012 when he said he received a phone call from the unit asking if his wife was at home.The staff member told him that she had left the unit to meet friends but had not returned at the time she was supposed to.Gardaí were alerted and a search was begun for Mrs Devlin, whose body was found later that evening on rocks by the sea at Ards.At the inquest into her death in Sligo, Dr Clifford Haley, Clinical Director at the psychiatric unit, said that he had assessed Mrs Devlin on December 7 and that a suicidal risk was present.He said he directed that she could have short periods of leave from the hospital but must be accompanied by family members.Following a review on December 10 by a junior doctor, it was noted that Mrs Devlin had improved and it was agreed that she would be allowed leave the hospital for two or three hours during the day if she wished.Dr Haley said it was his understanding that the doctor who made this decision would have seen his notes from December 7.When Dr Haley was asked if he could have detained Mrs Devlin under the Mental Health act, he said that he could not have.He said Mrs Devlin was a voluntary patient, she was seeking help and was co-operating with her care plan and she did not meet the criteria under the legislation for involuntary detention.Fr Kevin Shorten, a member of the Capuchin Order at Ards Friary gave evidence of meeting Mrs Devlin on two occasions.The first was 10 days prior to her death when two men told him they had seen a woman behaving oddly at the pier and he went down to speak to her.He gave her a lift back to Letterkenny and on the way she told him that she had felt like jumping into the sea and that everybody would be better off without her.Fr Shorten took her back to the psychiatric unit in the hospital.The second time he met her was on the day she died.He said that she had called to him in the friary and asked him to mind her handbag while she went for a walk.He said she seemed to be in better form and gave him a beautiful smile as she went out the door.However he became concerned when she did not return and went looking for her.Her body was later found by members of the Donegal Mountain Rescue team.Mrs Devlin’s family have issued High Court proceedings against the HSE for wrongful death.FAMILY OF DONEGAL WOMAN WHO DROWNED HERSELF TO SUE THE HSE was last modified: March 1st, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BurnfootInishoweninquestTooban
Top Stories Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impact The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo Laverne and Shirley, Calvin and Hobbes, Bert and Ernie, Batman and Robin. These dynamic duos have entertained the masses at some time or another. Right now, Cardinals fans are hoping that the next dynamic duo to take to the field in Arizona is Fitz and Palmer, meaning Larry Fitzgerald and Carson Palmer. A quarterback-wide receiver duo that fans could truly get excited about has been missing from the Valley for a few years now, ever since Kurt Warner had the audacity (joking) to call it quits after a 12-year career when he retired in January of 2010. Comments Share Palmer echoed Fitzgerald’s compliments with some of his own. “It’s been awesome. I threw him a ball today that maybe he and maybe Megatron (Calvin Johnson) catch. He’s maybe not one-of-a-kind but maybe one of two-of-a-kind and it’s pretty comforting.”Fans may not want to get too excited about the newest dynamic duo just yet — it is only June. But they also could have something to really look forward to this fall. – / 32 Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires They both know that much like the dynamic duos listed earlier, chemistry is something that doesn’t come overnight. The veterans are spending plenty of time learning each other’s habits and tendencies on the field in the film room. “Just body language of routes. There’s a lot of reading on the run in this offense and seeing the same things and being on the same page for the right depths of routes and breaking at the right depths,” Palmer said. “It’s never perfect and it’s something we’ll continue to get better and better at but I think he and I are both very comfortable with where we’re at for right now.”What’s obvious when talking to the two veterans is that they have a mutual respect and admiration for the other’s abilities. “He can throw the ball. There’s not a throw he can’t make. He’s got great touch on intermediate passes,” Fitzgerald said. “He can put zip on them, he can feather it in there, he’s got a tremendous arm and then he’s got the intelligence and experience to go out there and make the plays. We’ve seen him do it; he threw for 4,000 yards out in Oakland.” Thursday after the final day of Organized Team Activities (OTAs), Palmer addressed their relationship, which is a work in progress. “We better have a rapport going and good chemistry by now. We’re through OTAs and we’ve been throwing all off season. We have a good rapport going but it’s something that we could be playing together for fifteen years and it’s never perfect, it’s always something, it’s always a work in progress,” said the former first overall pick. “It’s something that we’re continuing to make better and better each day but we have a good start going into vet minicamp. It’s a good kickoff to training camp, but we’ll be ready to roll by then.”The number of receptions Fitzgerald has recorded has steadily dropped over the past few years. The six-time Pro Bowler had 97 catches four seasons ago. That number shrunk to 90 in 2010, 80 in 2011 and just 71 a year ago, so having a quarterback with some experience is important to him. “He’s just a veteran, veteran leadership. He’s just like all of us, we’re just trying to pick it up and learn all the nuances of this offense, it’s intricate. We’re working hard to get better,” said the future Hall-of-Fame receiver. “Having the veteran presence in the huddle, in the meeting rooms has been fantastic for me and I know it’s been great for the young guys. It’s exciting.” Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and selling
19Jul Rep. McCready highlights legislation aimed at helping residents in 40th district Categories: McCready News,News In the first six months of his third term in the Michigan House of Representatives, state Rep. Mike McCready remains committed to working with the 99th Michigan Legislature to promote bills that better the way of life for residents in Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Bloomfield Township and West Bloomfield Township.McCready serves in House Committees on Commerce and Trade, Families Children, and Seniors, Financial Services and Financial Liability Reform.Among the recent legislation touted by McCready:• A 2017-18 budget that provides record funding for roads and bridges. A total of $450 million will be provided for the upcoming budget year, and $1.2 billion annually by 2021. In addition, legislation has also been approved to strengthen warranties so repaired roadways last longer. The budget will include $35 million for the Michigan Infrastructure Fund to be used to address the state’s water, transportation, energy, and communications infrastructure.• A $41 million allowance within the budget to expand skilled trades programs. This is an increase of $11 million from the current year. An additional $1.2 million will be used for the Agricultural Workforce Initiative to increase agricultural occupations.• Business development grant and loan funds through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation totaling $115.5 million.• Several programs set to be enacted that will provide services for the state’s mentally-ill population, helping to promote a better culture of life.• An increase in revenue sharing for local communities, including cities, villages and townships, totaling over $6 million. This will allow continued and effective police, fire and medical services locally.“These budget measures will be felt at the local level and I’m excited to see the results within my district,” said McCready. “It’s a package that, among other things, addresses the state of our roads and helps get people out in the workforce. Those are two concerns I frequently hear about from the people I represent, so I was pleased to work with my colleagues to focus on those issues.”The budget plan includes an increase of $3.6 million for home delivered meals and senior in-home services. The increase, along with previous investments, will help correct wait list issues within the programs.“Protecting our seniors was a pivotal part of this budget,” said McCready. “Seniors in my district won’t be left behind or forgotten with the plan we have implemented.”McCready also championed a series of 10 bills updating Michigan’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) laws. The bills enact a new Legislative Open Records Act beginning in 2019, which provides for public inspection of legislative records. The Governor, Lieutenant Governor and their employees will also be subject to FOIA requests.“We need to be an open book for the people who are electing us to hold these offices and serve them,” said McCready. “Transparency within our government is essential and people within my district have voiced their concerns about how open and honest our government process is. I was part of 10 unanimous votes in favor of these bipartisan bills to show people in my district that I am committed to the transparency they seek.”
The global pay TV market grew at a steady rate of 4% last year, though there was a slower increase in revenues due to “weak currency exchange rates,” according to ABI Research. The new research claims that the worldwide pay TV market reached 923.5 million subscribers last year and is expected to exceed 1.1 billion subscribers in 2020 after climbing at a compound average growth rate of 2.7%.Global pay TV revenues reached US$257 billion in 2014, with this figure expected to grow to US$313 billion service revenues by 2020, according to ABI.The research claims that cable and terrestrial TV markets had weaker growth rates in 2014 compared to satellite and IPTV platforms. However, high definition penetration was found to be increasing across all pay TV platforms.Last year, some 44% of the world pay TV subscriber base counted as HD subscribers, led by Western Europe and North America, with the total figure expected to reach 60% in 2020.“Pay TV operators are now moving towards 4K or Ultra HD service,” said ABI citing DirecTV’s launch of 4K programming in November in the US.“Online video streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon also started to offer 4K content in late 2014. When content availability and 4K TV set adoption increase, 4K services are likely to become a differentiator for pay TV service providers.”ABI industry analyst Khin Sandi Lynn added: “As competition in the pay TV market increases, quality of content, innovations, and service pricing are among the important factors for pay TV operators to maintain customer base.”
A new survey by IAB Spain suggests that the number of Netflix customers in Spain could be much higher than previously supposed.Netflix doesn’t break down its subscriber figures country by country, so up until now the best guess for its user base in Spain has been competition regulator CNMC’s 1.5 million figure. However the IAB survey suggests that around 25% of Spaniards aged 16-65 have access to the US-backed service – which equates to around 6 million.Around 2 million of these don’t pay (this could imply some form of legal access or piracy), but even so the remaining 4 million figure (16% of 16-65s) is more than double the CNMC estimate.Whether you go with the higher or lower figure as the best guide of Netflix’s penetration, the IAB survey puts Netflix well ahead of all other forms of paid TV entertainment in Spain. It has Movistar Plus at 9%, HBO at 8% and Amazon Prime Video at 6%. IAB Spain also says that Netflix’s catalogue is best rated by its users, with HBO next.Netflix has invested in some Spanish original series to boost its service, such as Elite and Chicas del Cable (pictured). However the impact of Movistar Plus’ €70 million a year investment in high end original dramas series should soon start to have an impact on the system.