first_img Subscribe to Mission Local’s daily newsletter San Francisco Police Department officers will not be using Tasers, at least not for another year. The Board of Supervisors Budget and Finance Committee on Thursday agreed to remove the $1 million set-aside for Tasers in Mayor London Breed’s budget proposal, effectively stalling the implementation of the electroshock weapons until funding is proposed in future budget seasons.“I think all five of us were willing to sweep that money because of the four Taser-related deaths in San Mateo in a year and a half,” Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer told Mission Local following the decision. Three unarmed men with a history of mental illness did, indeed, die after being shocked with the stun guns last year, and one man was shot and killed last December after a Taser failed to subdue him. Fewer, who chairs the committee, also attributed the board’s decision to the overwhelming 2018 defeat of Proposition H, which asked voters to approve the police department’s use of Tasers, but would have limited how they would be regulated. The defeat “showed that San Franciscans really think that we should be going in a different direction than Tasers,” she said. The Police Commission, which sets the police department’s policy, approved Tasers in November 2017 in a contentious 4-3 vote following an emotional six-hour meeting.  Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer.Per the terms of the approval, the SFPD was set to arm its officers one year later. But the Budget and Finance Committee, taking Fewer’s lead, last year blocked the department’s $3 million funding request, putting a damper on the department’s plans.A similar action occurred at the committee on Thursday, with the $1 million yanked from Tasers now slated to be swept into the board’s so-called “add-back” fund — $30 million or more for additional requests originally excluded from the budget. Police Commission President Bob Hirsch, who voted in favor of Tasers in 2017, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But he likely isn’t happy about Thursday’s outcome. “We did a tremendous amount of work leading up to that vote,” he told Mission Local in an email on Monday. “If the elected officials did not want Tasers, why put us all through this protracted and contentious exercise?”  The San Francisco Police Department did not immediately respond to questions about the outcome. But Chief Bill Scott said during the hearing that, “We want to move forward with electronic control weapons [Tasers].” He noted that the department’s use of the weapons was among the 272 reform recommendations from the U.S. Department of Justice and reiterated that the Police Commission had approved their use. During a May 8 Police Commission meeting, Scott said that the department was far along in setting up the “infrastructure” to implement Tasers, such as establishing a review board and physical places to store the weapons at district stations. Supervisor Hillary Ronen, who also sits on the Budget and Finance Committee, told Scott during the hearing that she believes the department is making progress in other areas, such as lowering its use-of-force by some 30 percent, reducing police shootings, and using “time and distance” to deal with subjects in crisis. Given the progress, she said, “I believe that introducing a new weapon that’s increasingly problematic … is dangerous and would set a tremendous gain that you have made backward.” center_img Email Addresslast_img read more

first_imgRUGBY League fans will be able to watch some of the best players in the world clash at Wembley stadium for only £10 after the RFL today announced ticket details for the highly anticipated Gillette Four Nations double-header on Saturday November 5.The Wembley double-header will see Wales take on New Zealand at 1pm before England face up to fierce rivals Australia at 3.30pm in the national stadium.To celebrate the return of International Rugby League to Wembley, the RFL have introduced a special promotional offer, giving fans the chance to purchase a £25 ticket for only £10 if they book before Friday July 22 by quoting promotional code ‘4NWEM01′.England coach Steve McNamara is hoping the fans will show out in force to support England against their arch enemy.He said: “I think going to Wembley is huge for our sport, I think it’s a huge thing for the players, the staff and the Rugby League supporters. To play for the national team in the national stadium is a superb thing for everyone involved.“We ask a lot of our fans and I think this is a fantastic opportunity that the RFL are giving to fans with the pricing structure they’ve used. I think it’s important that we make the games as affordable as we possibly can in the current climate and we’re hoping that the fans will get down there and support the England team.“Wembley is a fantastic venue for everyone involved. Traditionally going down to London is a great day out for Rugby League fans and I can’t think of anything better than getting behind England against Australia, our arch enemy, in the national stadium, so certainly for us as England, to get as many people there as possible is very, very important.”Supporters can take advantage of this special 2011 Gillette Four Nations Wembley double-header ticket offer by calling 0844 856 1113 or by visiting www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk and quoting promotional code ‘4NWEM01′.The Wembley double-header will come one week after the Four Nations officially begins when Australia face defending Four Nations champions New Zealand at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington, on Friday October 28 (8.00pm) in the opening fixture of the competition. Ticket details for the clash between these two sides will be released on Monday July 11.On Saturday October 29, England kick-off their campaign when they take on Wales at Leigh Sports Village (2.30pm) with tickets priced at only £10 Adults and £5 concessions.England’s remaining game against New Zealand will be played at the KC Stadium in Hull on Saturday November 12 (6.00pm) and tickets are priced from £20 Adult and £10 concession.Wales will play Australia in their final group fixture at The Racecourse Ground in Wrexham on Sunday November 13 and fans will be able to attend the game for £10 Adult and £5 concessions.The 2011 Gillette Four Nations final will be played at Elland Road in Leeds on Saturday November 19 (6.00pm) and tickets are priced from £20 Adult and £10 concession.Tickets for the 2011 Gillette Four Nations can be purchased by calling 0844 856 1113 or by visiting www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uklast_img read more

first_imgThe incident occurred in the 77th minute of the match and saw the prop forward and the Centurions’ Eloi Pélissier sinbinned.Adam has an Early Guilty Plea available.last_img

first_img00:00 00:00 html5: Video file not foundhttps://cdn.field59.com/WWAY/1507000540-a62a162038eb36efa1eece0e208c389fbafdf99c_fl9-720p.mp4 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) – The mass shooting in Las Vegas is affecting thousands of people across the US. Wilmington is not out of that reach.On Monday night, we talked with a local man who was next to the concert zone when the gunman opened fire.- Advertisement – David Green went to Las Vegas over the weekend to enjoy a concert and see his favorite music artists like those people at the Route 91 country music festival that was targeted.“I’ve never seen anything like this before,” Green said.It all happened in a matter of minutes for Green. He was in Sin City for a couple of concerts and even got a chance to meet rocker John Fogerty. He was finishing his last night with one more walk down the Vegas Strip when gunfire erupted.Related Article: 1 injured in shooting on Carolina Beach Road“They [police] didn’t know if he was in the crowd or on the strip or where he was,” Green said.Just steps away from the country music festival, where one by one concert attendees were being gunned down, police told him to get out of the area. Not before Green saw first hand festival visitors hitting the ground.“You think back about it, what you saw, people dying, you didn’t know it at the time and you just go, ‘God that could happen here,’” Green said.He says seeing it all unfold was surreal. That feeling continued as daylight broke on the Strip.“I talked to a police man this morning afterwards, and I asked, ‘Well what did you see? Because you were down there.’ And he said, ‘Man, it was horrific.’ He said people were falling left and right,” Green said.What started as a spontaneous trip for fun leaves a sight of fear Green will always remember.“This is something I’ll never forget,” he said.Green says what happened in Las Vegas should change how much security and police presence is for outdoor events like the Route 91 festival.last_img read more

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> Partit LaburistaPartit Laburista Partit Laburista leader Joseph Muscat said that nowadays it is the foreign nationals in Malta who are asking for jobs and not the Maltese, contrary to what happened historically.Referring to a song in the Maltese rock opera Ġensa, Muscat said that the lyrics in this particular song portray the Maltese as begging to be given employment and also refers to those who have emigrated to other countries looking for employment. This, Muscat said, contrasted with the current situation, as foreign workers are migrating to Malta looking for employment due to the favorable economic conditions.Muscat was speaking at a party activity held at Mtarfa Civic Centre on Sunday. Muscat also spoke of how one should be proud as a Maltese citizen of the country’s historical past which are marked on national public holidays.Speaking about the recent arrival of asylum seekers on board the merchant vessel ship El Hiblu 1, the Labour Party leader praised the work of the Armed Forces of Malta who escorted the vessel to Malta after it was allegedly hijacked. Three youth were arraigned in court on Saturday in relation to the case.Muscat said that he had received various commented positively on the way Malta had handled the case. Describing the work of the AFM, Muscat said that this incident showed that the Armed Forces where capable of “planning and responsible”.The Labour leader decried the racist comments passed by many on social media as the incident unfolds, as well as comments targeting migrants in general.‘Quota system will not affect the electoral system’Speaking about the proposed system to address the lack of women MPs in parliament, Muscat described the proposal as “simple and clear” saying that it would not affect the electoral system. He explained that the seats were shared equally and would see women’s representation in parliament increase to at least 40%.‘Muscat defends an economic model without a plan’ – Partit NazzjonalistaThe Nationalist Party replied to Muscat’s claims on the economy, saying that he continues to defend an economic model based on economic growth without an infrastructural plan and which is dependent on foreign employees. Partit Nazzjonalista said that this led to new challenges such as keeping the basic wage low. The Party reminded that the PL should listen to the observations and recommendations made by international and European institutions which have warned against the economic model adopted describing it as unsustainable in the long run and the lack of political will to fight corruption.WhatsApp SharePrintlast_img read more

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> A man that had been waiting for twenty years to face accusations that he supplied the heroin to his wife, on which she overdosed has started separate procedures as he is stating that he has been denied due judicial process within reasonable time limits.The case goes back to 1999 when the man had been accused of heroin possession, and that allegedly had also supplied a fatal dose to a 25-year-old woman. The woman’s corpse was found along the Delimara shoreline. The body was tied at the wrists and ankles with blue nylon.In 2004, Civil Court had declared that courts delays were a breach of the accused rights of a just hearing in a reasonable time, and had ordered the Court of Magistrates to expedite the case. The accused had been sentenced to six years in jail. He was also ordered to pay €10,000 in 2013.Meanwhile, the accused had appealed to the sentence which was annulled as it was discovered that the Court of Magistrates had used the wrong legal provisions.20 years on, the accused is still facing criminal accusations related to the 1999 case. He filed a constitutional recourse claiming that he had been denied a just hearing.The Court of Criminal Appeal presided by Judge Edwina Grima noted that the 2004 order was not respected. The Court concluded that the accused has the right to forward his recourse and referred him to the adequate constitutional forum.WhatsApp SharePrintlast_img read more

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> SharePrint Partit Nazzjonalista has called for an investigation into the Planning Authority following the recent court ruling by which the planning permit granted to db Group in order to develop the former ITS site in Pembroke was revoked.READ: Court cites ‘conflict of interest’ and revokes DB Group permitIn a statement, the PN said that the decision has placed the Planning Authority and its operations under a lens. Citing the recent ruling, the PN said that the court has found that one of the sitting board members, referring to Matthew Pace, had a direct conflict of interest when voting on the project.The Nationalist Party decried the Government’s lassiez-faire attiude saying that appointed members of the board failed from declaring their conflict of interest.In its statement on Thursday, the PN said that recent court decision raised questions about the Planning Authority’s modus operandi. The Nationalist Party also reminded that on the day the vote was taken, board member Jacqueline Gili was flown in a private jet for the hearing to be able to vote, a story which was revealed by Newsbook.com.mt.READ: NGOs file judicial protest against Lands Authority over db Group developmentREAD: Lawsuits filed over db Group planning tribunal and permitThe Local Councils of Pembroke, St Julian’s, and Swieqi, along with non-governmental organisations Moviment Graffitti, Friends of the Earth Malta, Żminijietna – Voice of the Left, Din l-Art Ħelwa, and Flimkien għal Ambjent Aħjar, as well as residents Alison Pullicino, Sonya Tanti, Rita Zammit, Norman Zammit, Mario Sultana, Adrian Grima, Josef Buttigieg, Stephanie and Arnold Cassola took the matter to court and appealed the decision by EPRT.READ: db Group denies excavations on bunker’s site; says Graffitti statements ‘absolutely untrue’READ: 1930s engine room omitted from DB Group assessment reportWhatsApplast_img read more

first_imgThe number of students that have failed their SEC exams has increased this year. The most failed subjects were Maltese, English, English literature and Physics. The increase in the percentage of absent candidates was also mostly prominent in the same subjects with a total rate of absenteeism of 8.6%, and considerable increase from the 5.3% of the past year.5,478 candidates have registered to sit for their SEC examinations this year. 3,672 of the registered students were born in 2003 and 1,742 of them managed to gain the entry requirements to move on to the Sixth Form in the coming academic year. A higher percentage of female students managed to gain the necessary requirements to continue their formal studies at 47.9%.Furthermore, female candidates are more likely to opt for the three science subjects and to sit for one, two or three foreign language examinations. Male candidates were more likely to register for vocational subjects.WhatsApp <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> SharePrintlast_img read more

first_imgCompanies like Apple and Google have attempted to move security into a post-password world with features like fingerprint or iris recognition. Image Credit: NightLionSecurity Advertisement You’d like to think that we humans are getting progressively better at using these computer things as the years pass. But a quick scan through 2015′s list of most commonly used passwords will smash and set fire to that bit of optimistic thinking.For a fifth straight year, the secure phrases “123456” and “password” were the most-used and second most-used passwords by Interneters in North America and Western Europe, according to SplashData’s annual “Worst Passwords” ranking.The company, which develops password management software, uses aggregations of leaked passwords as samples sizes to determine the most popular security phrases in circulation. Though “123456” and “password” have been the most abundant among the millions of leaked passwords analyzed yearly by SplashData since 2011, security expert and author Mike Burkett (who’s collaborated with the company on its annual lists) has since 2005 had the passphrases marked as one and two on his “Worst Passwords of All Time” list. – Advertisement – Other return “Worst Passwords” on SplashData’s latest list were “qwerty,” “football,” “dragon,” and “111111.”If your password is on the list above, do yourself a favor and change it now!Read the entire 2015 ranking below:If your password is on the list above, do yourself a favor and change it now! Image Credit: SplashData[YahooTech]last_img read more

first_img[dropcap]W[/dropcap]elcome to Starters Orders. Our daily midday update from the trading room at Star Sports with our key market movers for the day across all sports.Friday 17 OctoberRACING2.55 NewmarketIvawood 4/5 > 4/63.15 CheltenhamSybarite 10/1 > 15/24.00 NewmarketSmuggler’s Cove 4/1 > 3/14.35 NewmarketBreton Rock 11/2 > 4/19.20 WolverhamptonTarquin 25/1 > 16/1What’s your view?CALL STAR SPORTS ON 08000 521 321last_img